Wednesday, February 7, 2007

A better day today

OK, so I actually woke up on time this morning and felt pretty good. HR this morning was 51, about the lowest it has been I think. Anyway, I rolled out of bed about 20 after 6, went outside and shoveled the driveway and halled the trash down to the corner and got ready for work. The day went by fairly fast, and after work I headed over to the bike shop, picked up a couple tubes, and some gel packs and headed home. I changed the flat on my bike and geared up for my work out that I missed yesterday. Tonight it consisted of the muscle tension ride...15 minute warm up, and then 4 intervals at 4 minutes each with 8 minutes of recovery between each set. the goal is, with the Trainer elevated 4 inches off the ground to simulate climbing, and turning the pedals over in a very hard gear, turning around 55 rpms. So after my 15 minute warm up I geared up for the first set....and it follows below....

Interval 1: 4 minutes
I put it in a 53x13 and started turning it over, and it was still pretty easy, so I added 3% incline to the effort and rode it for 4 minutes. My AVG Cad was between 54-59, and my HR only hit 140, I know this isn't a heart rate based work out, but I didn't feel like I was getting what it was intended to do....so I rested with active recovery for 8 minutes and started the next set.

Interval 2: 4 minutes
This time I was back in the 53x13, elevated the same height obviously, and this time I put it on a 4% incline. This time I could feel more resistance in my pedal stroke and I was sitting pretty stable at 55 rpms, + - 1 rpm. However through out the 4 minutes again my HR only reached 151 this time, and during my recovery my HR was dropping well below 120 bpm....8 minutes active recovery, spinning in about a 39x16 at around 75-80 rpms

Interval 3: 4 minutes
This one was more of the same as set two, but I was putting an even harder concentration on my pedal stroke, to see if that effected my cadence and/or my HR. 4% incline, 53x12-13, and I noticed my cadence was a bit higher in this set running between 55 and 58 rpms. I held this for the entire set, and toward the end about the last 90-100 seconds I could feel my legs loading up a bit and feeling a burn in them my HR got up to 155.....then 8 minutes active recovery again, same as interval 2.

Interval 4: 4 minutes
This was the last set, and I wanted to see if I could push myself harder and keep the same cadence up. So I put it back into a 53x13 and this time I took it up to a 5% incline. I was able to turn this for the first 2 minutes, at that point my legs were loading up pretty good, they weren't hurting too bad, but my cadence had dropped to 50 then just below to 48 and I couldn't quite get it up to 55 again. So I down shifted to a 4 % incline and finished out at 55 rpms. This time it was a much harder effort and my HR was up to 170. Each time I recovered very well between each set, and at the end I rode a 15 minute cooled down ride and finished up.

Overall Stats:
Time: 1 hr 10 min
Dist 17.3 miles
Avg HR 125
Max HR 170
Avg Cad: 72
Max Cad 100

No comments: